Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop preliminary PV and system site plan drawings under the supervision of the Chief Engineer.
- Review of Request for Proposals and support proposal development. Provide proposal input including detailed technical project descriptions, legal risk and responsibility definitions, financial analysis, detailed supporting documentation of contractor quotes, simulation results and cost and savings derivations.
- Complete the construction design of the solar and battery energy storage systems inclusive of all calculations and drafting of appropriate drawings.
- Create a detailed Permit and Construction drawing packages for the electrical of the solar and battery storage projects on each project.
- Perform solometric shading analysis and PVSyst models for review with the senior design staff.
- Produce work output through in-house or outside contracted means, in consultation with management.
- Cooperatively develop design approach methods and equipment selections to ensure the best overall project design and customer goals are achieved.
- Coordinate and review the final site plans with the senior design staff and inter discipline reviews to ensure compliance with other design considerations such as Civil and Structural Engineering. These include items such as weight restrictions, geotechnical challenges, flood elevations and advisory to those disciplines of electrical issues.
- Train and develop junior engineers and design/drafting technicians on electrical systems design, technologies, codes and contract document preparation.
- Support Construction activities and perform on stie visits as necessary to support the project construction.
- Review Power Purchase Agreements and EPC agreements to ensure design compliance.
Education or Desired skills, License and Certificates:
- Certifications in solar energy and related areas (NABCEP) preferred.
- 5 + years engineering experience in renewable energy technologies to include power, lighting, building electrical distribution, photovoltaic, and energy storage systems.
- Experience in production modeling software such as PV Syst.
- Working knowledge of Data Acquisition platforms and control systems.
- Specific experience with large scale utility equipment (i.e., transforms, switchgear and circuit breakers).
- Experience in the overall aspects of design engineering, construction, start-up and subsequent O&M of energy projects.
- Experience with power generation, power system protection and coordination, compliance and relay testing.
- Working knowledge of electricity and hazards posed by electrical equipment and conductors is required.
- Practice achieving and maintaining regulatory compliance with NEBCEP Standards Familiarity with Volt/Var Control; Power/Frequency Control, Renewable Generator Models, Geomagnetic Disturbance Analysis is a plus.
- 4-year engineering degree from an accredited college or university required.
- Professional Engineer (PE) license.
- NABCEP certified.