HIGH SCHOOL SOLAR CAMP FOR FUTURE SOLAR ENGINEERS
SepiSolar is dedicated to developing the next generation of solar and battery engineers.
In this one-week program, professional solar energy engineers will teach the solar engineers of tomorrow about the science, technology, engineering and math concepts behind solar power and battery systems.
Students will demonstrate their knowledge and skills acquired in this course by designing a simple residential solar photovoltaic (“solar PV”) installation. They will also take a tour of several solar PV systems and solar + battery systems.
Basic Course Information
- Two Date Options
- Class A: Monday-Friday, July 16-20, 2018
- Class B: Monday-Friday, July 23-27, 2018
- Class Hours: 9am – 3pm
- Where: SepiSolar, 39845 Paseo Padre Parkway, Fremont, CA 94538
- Audience: 8th Grade (for 2018-2019 course year) through High School
- Lunch: Students need to bring their own lunch. Snacks and soft drinks will be provided.
- Transportation: Parents or a designated guardian will need to drop off and pick up students at SepiSolar’s offices.
- Reading materials: Students will be required to purchase Photovoltaic Systems, 3rd Edition by Jim Dunlop
- Classroom Exercises and Testing: Students will participate in classroom exercises. At the end of class, students will be tested on their understanding of the material. Students tests will be corrected but not graded.
- Educational credits: There are no educational credits.
- Cost: $1250 plus the purchase of course book ($115 retail. Website link below.)
When students have completed this course, they will:
- Understand how the sun’s energy is converted into electricity by a solar PV panel and stored in a battery system or transferred to the electrical grid.
- Learn about the key components of a residential solar photovoltaic system, including the solar panels, inverter, and racking.
- Learn the differences between parallel and series circuits and when to use them for solar designs.
- Learn the difference between alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC).
- Understand key electricity concepts of watts, volts, amps, and ohms for designing solar PV systems.
- Be able to design and engineer simple residential solar photovoltaic system.
- Have a firm grasp of underlying technology, principles, and physics associated with solar panels and batteries, preparing them for further education in math, physics, engineering, economics, and energy.
Students will be expected to perform arithmetic and geometry calculations. They will be introduced to the use of electrical characteristics and specifications to ensure the safety and performance of PV systems.
About the Instructors
SepiSolar is a solar design and engineering company that was founded in 2009 by Joshua Weiner, who has been active in the solar industry since 2004. In addition to founding SepiSolar and consulting with national solar installers and manufacturers, Mr. Weiner has taught UC Berkeley Extension. Mr. Weiner and other SepiSolar engineers will be teaching different components of this introductory solar design and engineering course.
Students will need to purchase Photovoltaic Systems
, 3rd Edition by Jim Dunlop, which can be purchased directly here at: http://www.jimdunlopsolar.com/store/
for $115, but can also be purchased on other websites.
Solar Tour Field Trip
During the course, instructors will take students on a tour of several solar and solar+battery systems in the Fremont, California area. Transportation will leave from and return to SepiSolar’s office and classroom.
After registration, parents can pay the $1250 tuition through Paypal or Mastercard (a processing fee may apply) or they may send a check. Payments must be received by June 15, 2018.
How to Register
To register for the course, receive more information or ask any questions, contact SepiAcademy@SepiSolar.com
When emailing, please tell us:
- Parent or Guardian’s Name
- Students Name
- Students Age
- Grade Entering in the 2018-2019 school year.
- Preferred Class A or Class B date
- School name and City
Thank you! See you at SepiSolar Academy!